Saturday, May 18, 2013

The End Is In Sight


It seems like just yesterday we were preparing for the 1st day of school. Now the last day of this school year is seven days away. I can’t believe how fast the year went. They seem to pick up speed every year of my teaching career.

With the end in sight it’s time to reflect back. It really has been an amazing year. I have juggled high caseload numbers but I didn’t let it affect the services I provided. The progress the kids have made has been GREAT. I’ve tried a number of new things. I finally feel like I have a good handle on how to use mobile technology to drive my speech program. It has taken me being willing to CHANGE but in the long run I know I’m more efficient and my students are getting  21st century speech therapy. I guess you really can teach an “old dog” new tricks. We have also been able to get some of our students with more significant disabilities out of the school and into our communities to have “real world” learning experiences. It has been exciting to watch how the kids have changed because of these experiences.

Students -  thank you for another great year. You are the reason I get up every morning. The excitement I see in your eyes for learning is what drives me to come up with new ways to meet everyone’s needs. We’ve had a lot of fun, cried a few tears and made tons of progress this year. I’m proud of each of you and know that you all will become a caring and contributing member of society.

Summer brings planning for next year. I’m excited to see what it will bring. We have a 5th and 6th grade iPad initiative starting next fall so I know I have LOTS to figure out this summer. One thing is iBook Author. My technology units are now going digital. I already have two trainings on my calendar for later in the summer. So it will be a summer of learning which is great.

The lazy crazy days of summer mean I also need to step up and help out at AppAbled more. Hopefully I will be able to help our coverage of speech language apps and accessories grow. That is important to me. I want to help my colleagues get the right apps into their students’ hands so everyone is successful. So keep an eye out for some of my posts over at AppAbled.com. Thank you to the “Big Bosses” over there for giving me this opportunity. It has been a GREAT way for me to grow as a professional. I appreciate it more than you realize.

Enjoy your summer, I know that I will spend plenty of time on the shores of Spirit Lake enjoying the sun and having fun.